UT Tyler Student Money Management
BudgetingCreating a budget is one of the first steps to financial independence. Planning out your expenses can keep you from overspending and allows you to see where the majority of your money is going. You can use our budgeting Excel spreadsheet below to get started on creating your month to month budget. Also, check out some of the articles below on addressing whatever financial challenges you might face, whether you’re a college student or a parent to one.
- Excel Budgeting Spreadsheet: Personal Monthly Budget Planning and Tracking Guide (Excel)
- Google Docs Excel Spreadsheet: LifeAfterCollege.org Budget Sheet (Google Docs)
- Paper Budgeting Sheets: Income & Expenses (PDF) and Budget Sheet (PDF)
- College Expenses(.pdf)
- Financial Goals Worksheet (.pdf)
- On-Campus Planning Guide(.pdf)
- Off-Campus Planning Guide(.pdf)
- UT Tyler Cash Course
Tracking and Reviewing Apps
- 10 Smartphone Apps That Can Help You Track Your Expenses
- Easy Envelope Budget Aid
- Checkbook App
- Dave Ramsey's Envelope System
- CNN Money – Money 101- This is a step by step guide to gaining control of your financial life. It gives valid lessons with steps, quizzes and valuable information on how to manage your money efficiently.
- Reality Check- After high school you will need resources to help support your lifestyle. The Reality Check website is a great website to put all of that into perspective. It allows you to figure out your finances while choosing the career of your choice. Take time to go through the modules and see what to expect financially in the future.
- MyMoney.gov- MyMoney.gov is the U.S. government's website dedicated to teaching all Americans the basics about financial education. Whether you are buying a home, balancing your checkbook or investing in your 401(k), the resources on MyMoney.gov can help you maximize your financial decisions.
- UT Tyler: My Campus Funds- My Campus Funds is a website connected to the UT Tyler P2 Card account. It has a Personal Finance 101 section with videos, resources, articles and tools to help with your own personal money management. Use this site to gain information and access to your school P2 account and great financial resources!
- Get Sorted- This website has a lot of great tools and resources to get organized and start your financial journey. Find out the three simple steps to getting financially sorted: think, shrink and grow. Think ahead, shrink your debt, grow your savings.
Money Management Calculators
If you are looking for more complex information regarding money management, savings or budgeting, the following links are available to assist you with building a strong credit history
Articles for Students
Articles for Parents
Teaching your child about financial responsibility is a great step in helping them become financially independent. The articles below are great resource to help you reach out to them.
- How to Teach Your Kids the Value of a Dollar
- Become a Money-Smart Parent
- Crash Financial Course for College Frosh
- Surprise! More College Costs
This site contains links to other sites outside of The University of Texas at Tyler. UT Tyler is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites.