UT Tyler Office of Student Affairs
Students who are qualified members of nationally-recognized, registered student organizations (ex. fraternities and sororities) or registered honor organizations (ex. Alpha Chi) during their studies at The University of Texas at Tyler may request authorization to wear regalia from those organizations during the Commencement ceremonies. The only types of regalia items that may be approved are honor cords or stoles.
Students wishing to wear any regalia items subject to this policy must complete the following steps:
- Check to see if your organization is exempt. Students may bring regalia from the exempt organization regalia list directly to graduation and do not need to complete paperwork.
- If your organization is not exempt, request permission to wear the regalia from the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students by completing the on-line request form .
- Your request will be reviewed and approval will be sent to your Patriots e-mail address for you to bring with you to commencement as verification.
- The honor or student organization must be a nationally-affiliated organization that is currently registered at The University of Texas at Tyler through the Office of Student Life & Leadership.
- No more than two non-exempt organizations (2 cords and no stole or 1 stole and 1 cords) may be represented in addition to any academic honor cords (such as Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude or Cum Laude academic recognition) received specifically from The University of Texas at Tyler at the time of graduation.
- Students may wear only one stole; stoles may not be more than 5" wide and 30" long.
- Students may wear only one regalia item to represent an organization (stole or cord but not both).
Honors awarded by UT Tyler based on GPA are not subject to this policy. These honors are: Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude and Cum Laude. Students earning these honors will receive the applicable honor cords on stage from a member of their College's faculty or administration during the Commencement ceremonies.
Caps, gowns, and Master's/Doctoral hoods are not subject to this policy. Students are responsible for obtaining these items and bringing them to Commencement unless otherwise notified by their College. All of these items are available through the University Bookstore.
If you have any questions related to these guidelines, please contact the Office of Student Affairs at 903.565.5946.