Social Media Guidelines
Guidelines and Standards for UT Tyler Social Media
Social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram offer exciting opportunities for The University of Texas at Tyler faculty, staff, students and alumni to share knowledge, express creativity and connect with people who have common interests.
Social media is, like websites, official university communication. Standards have been established to provide proper usage. Approval from department heads and Marketing and Communications is required prior to setting up your account.
Review the following prior to set up.
- Will the site support a clear business objective that is consistent with goals and mission of the unit?
- Is the social media manager trained in the proper use of social media and familiar with UT Tyler social media standards including the UT Tyler acceptable use policy and UT Tyler identity standards?
- Is there sufficient time to devote to manage a social media site? (Social media is essentially a conversation and only works if there is regular interaction between posts and comments. Please plan to devote at least one hour a day to keep the site current, responding to comments and developing engaging content.)
Set up your social media account
Permission: Obtain administration permission for social media account(s) from department supervisor/chair or dean and the Office of Marketing and Communications.
Naming: Carefully name your social media account.
Title on the account can associate you with UT Tyler.
- facebook.com/UTTylerPharmacy - UT Tyler College of Pharmacy
- facebook.com/UTTyler-VRC - UT Tyler Veterans Resource Center
- facebook.com/Patriots2Professionals - UT Tyler Career Services
Simply using the university name alone is not permitted (including usage of the name UT Tyler, The University of Texas at Tyler, UT Tyler Patriots, UT-Tyler Patriots, UTT, UT-Tyler and/or the UT Tyler logos). Avoid using "UTT" or associating your account with UT Austin.
Unofficial social media pages using the university name, logos and/or official visual identity on social media sites are not permitted. Sites not in compliance may be reported to the appropriate social media site for removal. (See Impersonation.).
Maintain consistency with social media account naming across accounts when possible.
Email: When setting up your social media account, use an official UT Tyler group email for the department with at least two members from the college or organization in the group. (example: email@example.com)
Personal email or personal UT Tyler email accounts are not allowed. (example: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Account backup requirement and registration: Complete a UT Tyler Social Media Agreement and Registration Form for EACH social media platform.
- Two social media account managers are required for each social media account.
- Include all login credentials when completing the UT Tyler Social Media Agreement and Registration Form.
- The Office of Marketing and Communications is not responsible for maintaining your page, but will offer support and ensure continuity through any turnover in university personnel.
To convey a consistent brand across all platforms, users may request social media graphics/images converted to brand profile photos for social media accounts.
Social media users acting on the behalf of the university should adhere to all UT Tyler policies and procedures including:
- UT Tyler Social Media Policy
- Social Media Guidelines
- Acceptable Use Policy
- Brand Identity Policy
- Copyright Policy
- Faculty and Staff Handbook and Operating Procedures
- Non-disclosure Policy
- Student Manual of Policies and Procedures
- Website Publishing Guidelines
Representing UT Tyler
- UT Tyler encourages faculty, staff and students to use social media but reminds users that at any time they can be perceived as a spokesperson of the university.
- Assume at all times that you are representing UT Tyler.
- Identify yourself as a UT Tyler faculty/staff member or student representative.
- Use common sense before you post or comment and respect the values and etiquette of communities you join.
- Posting personal information on UT Tyler channels is not allowed.
- Only comments using profanity, offensive comments or advertisements not related to the site should be deleted. It is not the practice of UT Tyler to censor any social media pages.
- Use of profanity/nudity is not allowed on UT Tyler social media accounts.
- Confidential or proprietary university information or similar information of third parties, who have shared such information with you on behalf of UT Tyler, should not be shared publicly on these social media channels.
- Exercise discretion, thoughtfulness and respect for your colleagues, associates and the university’s supporters/community (social media fans).
- A healthy dialogue with constructive criticism can be useful but refrain from engaging in dialogue that could disparage colleagues, competitors or critics.
- Please refrain from reporting, speculating, discussing or giving any opinions on university topics or personalities that could be considered offensive, sensitive, confidential or disparaging including discussing internal policies or operations.
Pages representing UT Tyler inactive after one year are subject to removal from the prospective social media network by the Office of Marketing and Communications.
- Your personal social media account is not an appropriate place to distribute university news. If you have university information or news to announce to the public or media, please contact the Office of Marketing and Communications.
- Be mindful that all posted content is subject to review in accordance with UT Tyler employee policies and editorial guidelines.
- UT Tyler does not monitor personal websites but will address issues that violate established UT Tyler policies including: HR, IT, editorial, graphic and social media guidelines.
- More information on personal accounts.
UT Tyler's strength is broad! When we work together, we can give our social media content it's maximum punch. That's why you will see @UTTyler retweet other university accounts. Here are some of our most used hashtags:
#UTTyler, #UTTylerPatriots, #TalonsUp, #SwoopSwoop
If you have any questions or need assistance with your social media site, please consult Robin Kelly, campus webmaster. Due to the evolving nature of social media, these policies and guidelines are subject to revision by the Office of Marketing and Communications.