Office of the Registrar
The University of Texas at Tyler holds Commencement ceremonies twice each year in May and December at the R. Don Cowan Fine and Performing Arts Center. All graduating students are encouraged to participate in the ceremonies and join the administration, faculty, staff, fellow students and guests in celebrating this important milestone in their lives.
Spring 2013 Commencement
Friday, May 10, 2013
3 p.m. - College of Nursing and Health Sciences
6 p.m. - College of Arts and Sciences
Saturday, May 11, 2013
10 a.m. - College of Business and Technology
1 p.m. - College of Education and Psychology AND College of Engineering and Computer Science
Non-Ticketed Seating Information
Non-ticketed seating will be available only at Spring Commencement ceremonies. All non-ticketed seating will be in FAC 1009, located in the academic wing at the rear of the R. Don Cowan Fine and Performing Arts Center, and will be available on a first-come-first-served basis. Guests in the non-ticketed seating area will have the opportunity to observe a live stream of the ceremony.
Ticketed Seating Information
- To better accommodate graduates and their families, UT Tyler has enhanced the commencement procedures to include ticketed seating, additional viewing locations and online streaming of the ceremonies.
- Tickets are required for admission. All guests, including children, must have a ticket to enter.
- The number of tickets issued per student for each ceremony depends upon the number of graduation candidates who have submitted their applications by the Final Filing Deadline.
- Ticketing numbers will be announced to the Colleges, who will pass this information on the the applicants, in April for Spring ceremonies and November for Fall ceremonies.
- Tickets will be made available for a specific period each term in the Dean's office of each College. Graduation candidates will receive a Graduation Information email at their Patriot account with these dates in April for Spring ceremonies and November for Fall ceremonies.
- Wheelchair accessible spaces are available. Tickets set aside for these spaces are available upon request during the regular ticket distribution periods at the Enrollment Services Center. Each ticket for a wheelchair accessible space will also include a ticket for an immediately adjacent companion seat.
- No replacement tickets will be issued for lost, stolen or destroyed tickets.
- Online streaming can be viewed on the UT Tyler website.
Personal Property of Graduates
Graduates should not bring any personal belongings they cannot keep on their person to the backstage area during the Commencement ceremonies. No secure storage areas are available and University staff will not take possession of, or responsibility for, personal belongings during the ceremonies. Students should leave any items they cannot carry themselves with their guests in the auditorium or in their vehicles.
The doors to the Cowan Center will open one hour prior to the start of the ceremony. Candidates for graduation should arrive 30 minutes prior to the start of the commencement ceremony.
If you wish to have a commencement photo made, arrive one hour prior to the ceremony. Delk Photography will be available to take photos. You may sit for photos and purchase proofs, but are not obligated to order. A photo is taken of each candidate as they cross the stage. Purchase is not necessary. To view, proof and purchase the photo, contact the photographer at Delk Photography. For more information, contact the Enrollment Services center at 903.566.7180 .
Commencement DVDs are available for purchase from the Educational Technology Services office. To place an order, follow these steps:
- Contact Educational Technology Services (ETS) at AV_Services@uttyler.edu or 903.566.7347 to place order. Provide the following information:
- Shipping address
- Date and time of Commencement and/or Pinning needed
- Number of DVDs
- Contact the Cashier's Office at Cashers@uttyler.edu or 903.566.7228 or 7227 and pay by credit/debit card ($15/DVD) OR go by the Cashier's Office in ADM 125 and pay in cash or by check
- Have the Cashier's Office fax copy of the receipt to ETS
- ETS personnel will mail the DVD(s) to the shipping addressed given within 5 – 7 days of the order being placed
Commencement for Summer Graduates
Students who graduate with their degrees in August are eligible to participate in the Fall commencement ceremony in December. All August graduates are listed in the commencement program for the Fall ceremonies. Early participation in the Spring Commencement ceremonies is not available as an option for Summer graduates.