Office of International Programs
All international students attending The University of Texas at Tyler (UT Tyler) on a non-immigrant visa status are required by the University of Texas (UT) System Board of Regents to have continuous medical insurance compliant with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). Enrollment in the UT Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is automatic at the time of registration.
Attention students interested in waiving the UT SHIP: Effective Fall 2014 semester, new health insurance waiver requirements and a new electronic waiver process for students holding an existing health insurance plan have been implemented. Insurance waivers granted in the past may not meet the new requirements of the federal PPACA. L earn more about UT health insurance requirements.
You may submit your electronic waiver beginning Friday, 18 July 2014. The Fall 2014 submission period ends on Friday, 5 September 2014.
A. Criteria to submit a waiver request:
a. You are sponsored by the U.S. government, a foreign government recognized by the U.S., or certain international, government sponsored or nongovernmental organizations, if: 1) the sponsor has guaranteed payment of all health care expenses in writing, or 2) has provided coverage through a Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) compliant plan;
b. You are enrolled in the U. T. System Employee Group Health Plan;
c. You are enrolled in another PPACA compliant employer-provided plan or another PPACA individual plan, with such coverage compliant with the PPACA (see notes: must include a carrier letter indicating Metal Tier and Qualified Health Plan certification); or
d. You are enrolled exclusively in distance learning programs or classes.
Please note: travel plans or plans that require you to pay for treatment yourself and then apply for reimbursement will NOT be acceptable for waiving the UT SHIP.
B. If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternative health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
1. Medical coverage is unlimited
2. Deductible is $500 or less per condition
3. No pre-existing condition limitation
4. Dates of coverage must meet or exceed the policy year.
(2014-2015 policy year: Friday, 15 August 2014 – Monday, 31 August 2015)
The carrier letter for a U.S. Individual Plan must include a signed, official letter on letterhead stating:
- Plan holder name and date of birth
- Insurance carrier and plan name
- Start date and end date of coverage
- Metal tier of Plan (i.e.: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum)
- Confirmation that the plan is certified for sale as a Qualified Health Plan (QHP)
On-Line Waiver Process
If you meet the waiver eligibility criteria listed above, and have an alternate health insurance plan, please follow these instructions to apply for the waiver of the University of Texas at Tyler SHIP. All waiver requests must be submitted no later than September 5, 2014 to be considered for a 2014-2015 annual waiver.
- Have an electronic copy of your insurance card, Policy Benefits Summary, and proof of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage (if you have this coverage) available.
- Go to http://uttyler.myahpcare.com/waiver.
- Verify you meet the waiver criteria, and if you do, select the large button at the bottom to continue.
- Enter the required demographic information including your UT Tyler ID number and create your password.
- Select the ‘Register’ button to continue.
- Select the waiver form under Submit Waivers.
- Complete the waiver form and attach copies of your scanned insurance documents.
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button.
For questions or concerns contact:
Office of International Programs (OIP)
International Student, Scholar and Faculty Services (ISSFS) Center
University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Blvd., UC 2160
Tyler, TX 75799