UT Tyler Undergraduate Nursing
RN to MSN Admission Criteria
RN-MSN Deadline dates:
- Fall - Feb. 15
- Spring - Sept. 15
Submit the following items to UT Tyler Nursing prior to the deadline date:
- Undergraduate application online at www.applytexas.org
*Please note that there is an application fee. See the main UT Tyler graduate admissions Web page for the up-to-date fee.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended.
- **Apple devices require Firefox and Adobe reader to be installed for this form to work properly. For best results, use a Windows-based operating system.
- Request for three references (academic and professional) to fill out the online form regarding your potential for graduate study.
- They will need to have your contact information to include: your first and last name, address, phone number and email. It is understood that with the online form, you waive the right to review it.
- Proof of an associate of science degree or diploma in nursing from a nationally accredited school.
- Copy of current licensure as a registered nurse in the state(s) where clinical practicum will occur.
- Submit a two-page essay that addresses the following:
- Explain your reasons for pursuing an advanced practice degree in this particular area (specify administration, education, coordinated MBA or nurse practitioner).
- Describe an influential role model that has helped shape your decision to pursue their career
- Tell us where you see yourself in five years.
- Describe how you have prepared for the rigor of graduate study.
- Copy of CPR certification (front and back).
- Letter from employer verifying employment.
- Immunization Records:
- TUBERCULIN – Negative PPD with one year, OR negative chest X-ray (hood for three years).
- MMR – positive MMR titer can be submitted if no record of vaccination.
- Hepatitis B- positive Hepatitis B titer can be submitted if no record of vaccination.
- TETANUS/DIPHTERIA – within 10 years.
- Proof of completion of statistics with a grade of "C" or better.
- Associate degree to MSN applicants are required to take the GRE or MAT, no minimum score required for consideration.
- MSN/MBA students must achieve a minimum score of 500 or more on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) and a satisfactory grade-point average overall on prior advanced level (junior, senior and graduate) work taken. These two indicators of graduate potential, GMAT score and grade-point average, will be used to calculate an index number.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 on all general education requirements and college of nursing prerequisite courses is required. A minimum GPA of 3.0 on all nursing courses is preferred.
Submit paper items in one packet (with the exception of references and test scores). All other documents need to arrive at the university in one envelope, mail to:
The University of Texas at Tyler
College of Nursing
3900 University Blvd
Tyler, TX 75799