Students who have completed fewer than 30 credit hours at any junior college or university, including UT Tyler, are required to live on campus if facilities are available. AP credit or credit-by-exam tests do not count towards this total.
Students who are required to live on campus may reside in University Pines, Patriot Village or Ornelas Hall. These are the only facilities that satisfy the residency requirement.
Exceptions may be made for students who meet the approved waiver requirement(s). A waiver request form may be obtained from the Department of Residence Life.
A waiver will be granted for the following reasons:
- Students who currently live within 50 miles of Tyler with a parent or legal guardian (as evidenced by a current tax return)
- Students who are married
- Students who are 21 or over or will be before the 12 th class day
- Students with a medical disability that cannot be accommodated on campus
- Students with custody of a child and who can provide the Housing Department with an original birth certificate of the child or custody documentation
- Students who are enrolled for eight or fewer semester credit hours during the fall and/or spring semesters
Students who meet one of the exemptions listed above and who wish to live off campus must submit a request for a waiver to the policy in writing to the Residence Life office. The Residence Life office must approve the waiver, even if it is a waiver for which the student automatically qualifies.