Graduate International Student Admissions & Services
Invitation Letter Request
As a courtesy the GISAS office issues invitation letters on behalf of UT Tyler graduate students who wish to invite family members or friends to visit them in the US on B tourist visas.
- Complete the online Invitation Letter Request Form. Be sure names are spelled exactly as you want them to appear in the letter.
- A confirmation email will be sent to you when your request has been received.
- Allow 3-5 business days for your request to be processed.
- Notification will be emailed to you when your letters are available to be picked up in the Office of Graduate Admission.
- Letters should be picked up in person. They cannot be mailed to your family or friends on your behalf.
Applying for a Tourist Visa
Your family members and friends should review the US Embassy or Consulate website where they will apply for their tourist visa. Application requirements and guidelines can vary.
In addition to the invitation letter your family members and friends should also have with them at the visa interview:
- Evidence that you are in the US as an F-1 student – this may include a copy of your Form I-20, visa, I-94, and enrollment verification.
- Evidence that they intend to return home – this may include documents showing employment, property ownership, or a return trip flight itinerary.
- Evidence of funding - this may include bank statements, employment verification, or any other relevant document to prove that they have sufficient funds for the visit.