UT Tyler Emergency Management
PatriotALERT Emergency Notification Service
What is PatriotALERT?
PatriotALERT is the official emergency notification service for UT Tyler. It is a mass notification system comprised of e-mail, voice and text messaging that is designed to send emergency messages to all UT Tyler students, faculty, and staff in minutes. It supplements existing means of emergency communication, including the outdoor warning system and severe weather alert radios.
How can I sign up for PatriotALERT voice and text messages?
All UT Tyler students, faculty and staff are able to receive text and voice message alerts by ensuring that their contact information is updated. Contact information updated using the following instructions will automatically be loaded into PatriotALERT - usually by 8 a.m. the following day.
Students: UT Tyler students can check and update their information in the myUTTyler student information portal by going to http://my.uttyler.edu and following these instructions:
- Log-in to myUT Tyler.
- Click on the "Student Home Page" tab in the upper left corner.
- Click on the "Student Center" link in the right-side "System Access" menu.
- Scroll down to the "Personal Information" section and use the pull-down menu to select "Phone Numbers" then click the forward icon.
- You may provide up to three phone numbers - the Campus, Home, and Cellular numbers will be used. The cellular number is most important because you will receive text messages at that number.
- Click "SAVE" when you have finished entering your phone numbers.
Faculty/Staff: UT Tyler employees can update their phone numbers using the UT Direct System (https://utdirect.utexas.edu/pnbiog/index.WBX). After logging-in, click on "Telephone Numbers." The "Home Phone 1" field should be used for a home telephone number, and the "Home Phone 2" field should be used for cellular/mobile number - this is the number that will also receive emergency text messages. Once you have updated your information in UT Direct, you will automatically begin receiving PatriotALERT emergency notifications.
When will PatriotALERT be used?
The system will only be used to distribute information regarding emergencies that dictate immediate action. Examples of alerts include severe weather like a tornado, building evacuations, dangers like an active shooter that require lock-down or shelter-in-place, or other emergencies requiring immediate action. The messages will direct you where to go for further information or what action to take. Besides emergencies, the only time the PatriotALERT notification system will be used is for system tests to ensure that we are able reach all PatriotALERT participants in the event of an emergency. You will NOT receive routine announcements or spam.
Who receives the messages?
Everyone who has a UT Tyler e-mail address will receive emergency alerts to their campus e-mail address. In order to also receive text and voice message alerts, members of the campus community will be asked to provide phone contact information. While participation in the text and voice messaging notification is optional, enrollment is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED for your safety. The information you supply is considered confidential and will not be shared or used for other purposes. You will only be contacted through the system in the event of an emergency.
Why should I sign up for the PatriotALERT voice and text message components?
If you are not enrolled, we will not be able to contact you in an emergency. Because students, faculty and staff are constantly on the move, this system provides the flexibility for you to receive emergency messages on multiple devices. PatriotALERT will be used to distribute important information regarding emergencies that dictate immediate action. It will be used along with other tools including outdoor warning sirens, severe weather alert radios, e-mail, the University web site, and media. However, if you are in class or in your dorm room, PatriotALERT may be the only way you receive notification of an emergency on campus. This is why it is important that you keep your contact information updated.
I am already registered for the TextCaster service, do I need to register for PatriotALERT?
PatriotALERT is replacing the TextCaster service as the official emergency notification method for UT Tyler. TextCaster will no longer be used for emergency notifications.
Will I receive PatriotALERT messages if I don’t sign up?
If you do not sign up with PatriotALERT, you will only receive emergency messages via your official campus e-mail address. However, you will not receive text or voice messages. UT Tyler strongly recommends that you provide at least one phone number (cellular phone is recommended) for PatriotALERT to ensure that you receive emergency messages in a timely manner.
Who implements PatriotALERT?
PatriotALERT is managed jointly through the Office of Emergency Management, University Police, Information Technology and the Vice President for Student Affairs.
How does PatriotALERT work?
PatriotALERT is a hosted and managed system. You will not need special hardware or software to receive messages. It is a multi-modal service that can disseminate emergency messages through:
- E-mail: An alert message will be sent to your official campus e-mail address. You can also specify a personal e-mail address for receiving these alerts.
- SMS text messages: Faculty, staff and students may choose to register a cellular phone number for receiving SMS text messages through PatriotALERT.
- Voice messages: Faculty, staff and students may choose to register up to three phone numbers with PatriotALERT (campus, home and cellular). Voice messages will be sent to these phone numbers.
Can I opt out of the system after I sign up and can I update my contact information after I have registered?
You can opt not to receive text and voice messages, however you cannot opt out from receiving an alert on your official campus email address.
Although it is not recommended, you can permanently stop receiving emergency text messages through the system by texting “STOP UTTYLER” to 23177. To stop receiving voice messages, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the number you would like removed. Students will be automatically removed from the system upon graduation or leaving the University.
Are there any costs involved if I sign up for the system?
If you do not have a text messaging contract as part of your cellular service, there may be a small charge for any emergency text messages that you receive. You should check with your cell phone carrier to determine what these costs may be. There are no fees assessed for students, faculty and staff access to the system.
Will my contact information remain secure, and will it be used for any other purposes?
The information collected for PatriotALERT is securely maintained and will not be shared. It is only used for notification of emergencies requiring immediate action.
How can I recognize messages from PatriotALERT?
- E-mail: Messages sent from PatriotALERT will come from email@example.com.
- SMS text messages: You will see 23177 as the text messaging number sending you the confirmation message and all subsequent messages. Please save this number and program it as “PatriotALERT” so that you can quickly recognize this number as the official source of emergency messages.
- Voice messages: The phone number you will see in your caller ID will be 903-565-6583. Please save this number and program it as “PatriotALERT” so that you can quickly recognize this number as the official source of emergency messages.
I have more questions, what do I do?
For questions, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.