UT Tyler Educational Leadership & Policy Studies
Online Standard Principal Certification - For Texas Educators Only
Now accepting applications!
The Standard Principal Certification is an online twenty-two (22) hour graduate program. Course work includes a concentration study in public school leadership and administration, and internships.
To be admitted to the Standard Principal certification program, a prospective student must:
- Hold a master's degree from an accredited institution.
- Possess Texas Teacher Certification (any field).
- Complete the application for admission to a graduate program.
- Submit official transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions attended to Graduate Admissions.
- Send official scores (obtained within the past five years) on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) directly to Graduate Admissions.
- Submit three letters of recommendation to the Department of Educational Leadership from practicing school district administrators or other professional colleagues addressing the applicant's administrative potential.
- Participate in a personal/Skype interview.
In addition to the requirements listed above, the following elements are used to calculate an admission score for the Master of Education Degree in educational administration program. A student must receive a total of 6 or more points using the following criteria:
|GRE||Points||GPA - Last 60 Undergraduate Hours|
|287+V/Q Combined||5 points||3.50+ GPA - 3 points|
|153+ Verbal||5 points||3.00+ GPA - 2 points|
|285+ V/Q Combined||4 points||2.75+ GPA - 1 point|
|284+ V/Q Combined||3 points|
|146+ Verbal||3 points|
|283+ V/Q Combined||2 points|
Note: Applicants whose undergraduate degree is from a foreign institution must submit acceptable TOEFL scores (as explained here), or a verbal GRE score of 146 or higher, before full or provisional admission will be considered.
Educational Leadership Theory & Practice
|EDLR 5313||Critical Issues in Educational Leadership||3|
|III||EDLR 5320||Public School Law||3||8|
|EDLR 3333||Administration of Special Programs||3|
|EDLR 5271||Practicum in the Principalship II||2|
|IV||EDLR 5330||The Principalship||3||8|
|EDLR 5337||School Building Operations||3|
|EDLR 5272||Practicum in the Principalship III||2|
Principal Certification Only (already have a Master's degree) = 22 hours and includes Blocks I, III, & IV. Block II (not shown) is for Master's degree only.
View the annual rotation of courses for the online principal certification program.
For additional information concerning the Master's Degree Program and the Standard Principal Certificate, contact Dr. Ross Sherman, Chair, Department of Educational Leadership, at 903.566.7218.