UT Tyler Department of Communication
College of Arts and Sciences
The ability to communicate effectively is essential to success, whether you are seeking a career in mass media, law, business, government, education, social services, the arts or the ministry.
The University of Texas at Tyler Department of Communication offers bachelor's degrees in mass communication and speech communication and a master of arts degree in communication, each tailored to your specific interests and abilities.
- The UT Tyler bachelor of arts/bachelor of science degree program in mass communication will prepare you for a career in multimedia news reporting and editing, public relations, integrated marketing or other form of specialized communication, or to pursue graduate studies.
- Students in UT Tyler's speech communication BA/BS degree program develop communication skills well-suited to the professional workplace or the pursuit of graduate studies.
- The UT Tyler MA degree in communication focuses on instruction in two areas – journalism and speech communication.
As a student in the UT Tyler Department of Communication you will receive individualized instruction from professors who are respected leaders in mass and speech communication.
You also will have opportunities to broaden your college experiences through internships and participation in professional organizations and award-winning student programs including the UT Tyler debate team, Patriot Talon media outlet.
DEPARTMENT ADVISERS - 2015
Lorri Allen, New Adviser for the Patriot Talon! Please welcome her!
Lorri Allen comes to UT Tyler after a 30-year career in broadcasting that has taken her on a tour from East Texas to Dallas-Fort Worth, Atlanta, Tucson, Phoenix and back to East Texas. Most recently, she worked as the news director at Tyler's CBS affiliate. During her two years there, she hired more than 20 on-air reporters, producers and web/social media producers. She also helped coordinate efforts that resulted in the station's first two Edward R. Murrow regional awards.
Lorri has worked as a reporter, anchor, producer, radio host and even a weather forecaster. Knowing that her background in broadcasting was extensive, she concentrated on digital and print skills during her coursework at Cronkite. Her news stories from the Cronkite News Service were published in The Arizona Republic, East Valley Tribune and others.
Since 1996, Lorri has been a member of the National Speakers Association. She coaches clients to communicate clearly and in crisis.
- This past spring the TIPA Adviser of the Year award was given to Kevin Dilley at the recent Texas Intercollegiate Press Association convention that was held in San Antonio, Texas. This award established in 1973 was instituted to recognize advisers who go above and beyond in the area of teaching and advising. We wish Lorri all the best and she is inheriting a great group of young talent.
- In addition to this award the Patriot Talon has been credited with over 30 additional awards!
Congratulations to all!
- For more information on the PatriotTalon
- 2015 Awards
DEBATE TEAM - The Momentum Continues
- Led by Matthew Gayetsky, the Debate Team of the University of Texas at Tyler left their mark nationally in the art of parliamentary debate at the 2015 National Parliamentary Tournament of Excellence, hosted by William Jewell College in Liberty, Mo.
- From a field of more than 250 collegiate debate teams, sophomores Samuel Cook of Flint and Steven Hullum of Tyler placed second in the nation.
- For more information
London, England trip May 16 - 22, 2016
London, Paris, Florience, & Rome Maymester 2016
- Sports Communication
- Graphic Communication
Administrative Assistant: Patricia Pelletier
|GATE Nursing and Health Sciences Info Session BRB 1055 4:00 p.m.|
|Studio Art Faculty Exhibition Reception Meadows Gallery 6:00 PM|
|Census Date (11th Class Day) |
|Labor Day Holiday |
|Labor Day (University Closed) |
|LGBT Issues: Past, Present & Future BUS 158 5:30 p.m.|
|GATE Nursing and Health Sciences Info Session BRB 1055 4:45 p.m.|
|Cohort Four - Fall Intensive Week Staybridge Hotel & Suites |