UT Tyler College of Business and Technology
Ph.D. in Human Resource Development
The deadline for accepting applications for fall 2015 is now closed. If you are interested in applying, applications will be accepted through March 1, 2016, for the fall 2016 semester. This program takes new, qualifying applicants each fall. Doctoral applicants must complete this process before being considered for admittance into the Ph.D. program in human resource development with an emphasis in organizational development and change (HRD/ODC). For those applying for financial aid, please visit the Office of Financial Aid website and submit your Ph.D. application materials before the deadline designated by that office.
Doctoral Application Requirements
- Email intent to apply to Dr. Jerry W. Gilley.
- Apply online.
- Pay the application fee through the website above or make payment directly to the UT Tyler Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Master's degree in HRD, business administration, management or related field from a college or university approved by a recognized national accrediting body.
- 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) on all previous academic coursework.
- Submission of GMAT scores (in some cases the GRE may be accepted in lieu of the GMAT) taken within 5 years at time of application to the program. Successful doctoral students on average have a GRE score of 1000 or greater (according to the old GRE scoring scale) and a 500 or greater on the GMAT.
- Submit official Transcripts directly to
The Office of Graduate Admissions ADM 345
The University of Texas at Tyler
3900 University Blvd
Tyler Texas 75799
Submit the following materials electronically to the Department of HRD & Technology:
- Unofficial transcripts from all universities from which you earned a degree. UT Tyler transcripts do not have to be submitted.
Career statement that articulates the purpose for pursuing the
Ph.D. in HRD and the connection of obtaining the degree with future career goals.
- Resume or curriculum vita.
- Three letters of recommendation may be professional, personal or academic.
- Submit these materials electronically to the Graduate Advising Office at cbtGRADadvising@uttyler.edu.
About the Ph.D. in HRD/ODC Program
The program is designed to prepare researchers and practitioner leaders for a rapidly changing and culturally diverse global workforce. The demographic shifts occurring today at unprecedented rates are changing the face of our communities and organizations. These shifts represent challenges to human resource development professionals who work in constantly changing businesses, industries, education, government, healthcare and nonprofit organizations.
The doctorate is intended primarily as an executive-based program that focuses on organizational development and change (ODC) in the context of business and industry that integrates a strategic management perspective.
The goal of the program is to develop scholars who are capable of making independent contributions to the profession and serving in leadership positions in higher education, primary and secondary education, and other government and industry-roles.
The educational objectives of the Ph.D. program are to prepare graduates to successfully perform in the realms of leadership and research to the field. The core courses of the doctoral program are designed to provide the advanced theoretical and research framework for students.
Delivery Format: Schedule
The Ph.D. in human resource development (HRD) with a specialization in organizational development and change (ODC) is not an online program; however, we do use an executive format program whereby students only meet five times a semester: Three classes (three credit hours each, fall and spring) and one or two classes (three credit hours each, summer) will meet five times per semester. The balance of required class time will be completed via online and project based formats.
Doctorate Tuition Fall 2015-Spring 2016
Department is not responsible for changes to tuition rates.
|3 hours: $1,427||3 hours: $2,597|
|9 hours: $3,431||9 hours: $6,941|
Fees are not included. Please contact the Office of Student Business Services (formerly Cashiers' Office) to determine which fees apply to you: 903.566.7227 or 7228. Also visit this helpful link: UT Tyler Tuition, Charges, & Fees
Frequently Asked Questions -- To-do list for accepted students, schedule, degree plans, etc.
Human Resource Development & Technology Department