The University of Texas at Tyler
Tyler   •   Longview   •   Palestine
A centerpiece for learning,
culture and natural beauty

UT Tyler Cashiers Office

Past Due Accounts

Types of Debts at UT Tyler

  • Fall and Spring Installments
  • Nonpayment of Tuition and fees
  • Insufficient Checks
  • Emergency Loans

Insufficient Checks

If a check is returned from the bank unpaid for any reason, the person will be assessed a collection fee of $25.00 for each check returned. The person must pay the full amount of the returned check plus the $25.00 fee immediately in cash, cashier's check, money order, or credit card. In the event of nonpayment of a returned check, one or more of the following actions may be taken: (a) a bar against readmission for the student, (b) withholding the student's grades and official transcript, (c) withholding a degree to which the student otherwise would be entitled; (d) all other penalties and actions authorized by law. In addition, the check may be turned over to the District Attorney of Smith County, Texas for prosecution.

The University will not accept a check from a person:

  • who wrote a bad check to pay off a previous debt owed to the University
  • who after writing a bad check was not responsive to requests for payments
  • who habitually writes bad checks, even though restitution is made promptly


UT Tyler's Collection Policy
Student account is placed on hold, which prevents registration or getting official transcripts.

A student must pay 100% of the current past due balance to get the hold released for a transcript or diploma.

Debts over 90 days will be sent to a collection agency but may be sent prior to 90 days.

Debts returned to UT Tyler from the collection agency will be sent to UT System's Office of General Counsel. Outstanding debts will also be reported to the Texas Attorney General's Office, which places the debtor on hold with the state of Texas.

Who to Contact About Your Past Due Debt
Kamell Hawkins - Account Technician

Your Rights

NOTE: Online payments are for the current semester only. If you are paying a previous semester's balance, please do not pay online. Call 903.566.7227 or come by the cashier's office so your payment can be properly applied to the correct term.