Meet a University of Texas at Tyler Graduate
Lifelong Impact in a Day's Work
"UT Tyler's nursing program and professors were so supportive. I learned so much! More than anything else, I enjoyed the variety of clinical experiences during my nurse training at UT Tyler.
"When I began my education, I thought I wanted to work in pediatrics, but my clinical experience in obstetrics caused me to reevaluate my plans. Altogether, 10 different preceptors mentored me through different rotations. This allowed me to experience a wide variety of clinical settings and really understand what it means to be a nurse.
"A month before graduation, I was hired as a nurse at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Texas. The year before, UT Galveston had hired a graduate of the UT Tyler BSN program. Because they were so impressed with her ability and training, they came back to UT Tyler and hired me. That's the kind of strong reputation UT Tyler's nursing program has. I went right from college into a great job.
"Today I work in the newborn nursery assessing, feeding and caring for babies and their moms. It's especially rewarding to train first-time mothers who are often a little unsure of themselves in their new role. Personally, I appreciate the miracle of new life every time I take my rotation in the step-down unit of neonatal intensive care. Seeing a baby who started life as a one-pound preemie be able to go home makes me feel especially proud of what I do in a day's work."
Heather Mann, Jacksonville, TX
May 2010 BSN Graduate
For more information, check out the UT Tyler School of Nursing.
Nursing BSN Degree
Join One of the Most Respected Nursing Degree Programs in Texas
The University of Texas at Tyler offers the entire curriculum for the bachelor of science in nursing degree on the Tyler, Longview and Palestine campuses. All courses are taught live on each campus, and clinical experiences are conducted in the region close to their home campus. In addition to the general BSN degree track, UT Tyler offers Nursing RN-BSN Mobility (MINE) and Patriot Accelerated Nursing BSN tracks.
- 99% of The University of Texas at Tyler nursing graduates pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) on their first try.
- 98% of our nursing program graduates either have a job at graduation or are planning to pursue graduate study.
- Preceptored clinical experiences allow each UT Tyler nursing student to be paired with a working RN who serves as your coach and career mentor: UT Tyler was the first in Texas to start the preceptor program.
Graduates from our College of Nursing hold a generalist nursing degree that’s valued by leading hospitals and health care providers in Texas and nationwide, including:
- Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas
- Parkland Health & Hospital, Dallas
- Methodist Hospital System, Dallas
- Seaton Medical Center, Austin
- Breckenridge Hospital, Austin
- Trinity Mother Frances Health Care System, Tyler
- East Texas Medical Center, Tyler
- Good Shepherd Medical Center, Longview
- Longview Regional Medical Center, Longview
Bachelor’s in Nursing: Hands-On. State-of-the-Art.
- Start immediately working with real patients in actual health care settings and complete 224 hours in placement each semester. Get valuable on-the-job experience, learning side-by-side with a preceptor RN to handle assessments, deliver medications and meet patient needs. Interact with state-of-the-art simulations in the most modern labs and classrooms equipped with the latest learning and medical technology.
- Network with current and future nursing professionals in the National Student Nurse Association, the American Nurses Association student affiliation group and the Nursing Christian Fellowship group.
- Be fully prepared to take your licensure exam after graduation and begin your nursing career as a highly sought-after hire by major employers.
Learn more from the UT Tyler School of Nursing
Nursing Faculty: Specialized. Dedicated.
- All nursing faculty members at The University of Texas at Tyler hold a master’s degree or above across a diverse range of specialties, giving students a broad perspective on the nursing profession.
- Nursing faculty combine strong clinical experience with their dedication to teaching students and preparing future nurse leaders.
- Learn from faculty with creative teaching methods and activities to maximize learning.
Find out more about the UT Tyler School of Nursing faculty
Nursing Courses: Comprehensive. Hands-On.
Medical/Surgical Nursing I – This medical/surgical course introduces holistic nursing care of adults experiencing acute or chronic illness in selected structured settings.
Pharmacological Basis for Nursing – Pharmacotherapeutic aspects of nursing care are introduced and supported by evidenced based findings to improve patient care. Emphasis is on principles of safe administration of medications and patient education for major drug classifications. The impact of technology, economic and regulatory forces as well as collaboration with the health team are discussed. Ethical/legal and cultural considerations are explored across the life span.
Nursing Concepts and Theories – Get an introduction to the discipline of nursing based on a liberal education in the arts and sciences. Emphasis is on the development of professional identity through exploration of the major concepts of nursing.
More about UT Tyler’s BSN program of study
Career Outlook for Nursing
According to the Department of Labor Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the career outlook for registered nurses is highly favorable. About 60% of all RN jobs are in hospitals. Other nurses work in physicians’ offices, nursing care facilities and clinics. With additional training nurses can specialize in such fields as psychiatric-mental health, nurse-midwife, surgery, emergency and other areas. The general nursing degree you earn through the bachelor of science in nursing at UT Tyler prepares you, with licensing, to hold any entry-level nursing position. For more, go to Occupational Outlook Handbook - Registered Nurses.
Find Out More: 800 UT Tyler