Nursing PhD Degree – Online
Advance into Leadership to Impact Community Health Care
The nursing PhD program at The University of Texas at Tyler is unique among doctoral programs in Texas and throughout the entire United States. The reason: Nurses are able to study online in the communities where they live, undertaking independent research while they prepare to assume more influential roles in the nursing field.
- Participate in on-campus, weeklong summer orientation and returning-student workshops and then complete the PhD in nursing program entirely online.
- Enroll in a highly successful, competitive program: Among universities nationwide, UT Tyler is offering a PhD in nursing that’s in high demand.
Graduates of the UT Tyler nursing PhD program are employed as consultants, researchers, administrators, professors and policymakers. Our graduates can be found in these and many other organizations: The University of Incarnate Word, Prairie View A&M University and Troy University.
Learn more from the Graduate College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Nursing PhD: Independent Study. Research-Based.
- Design, conduct and disseminate research that contributes to the advancement of nursing science.
- Focus on ensuring healthy communities through such activities as statewide disaster planning, and involvement in the Cancer Foundation for Life, March of Dimes and other events.
- Understand how to incorporate research findings into the development of policies pertinent to nursing and health, both nationally and internationally.
- Undertake original research leading to your doctoral dissertation.
Nursing Faculty: Community-Engaged. Student-Focused.
- Receive personal support from professors who are committed to helping you reach your career goals.
- Study with faculty members who are respected leaders in the field of nursing and regular presenters at such gatherings as the Western Institute of Nursing Research; Palliative Care Conference; and Southern Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference.
Learn from faculty members who have been recognized for professional excellence with such distinguished awards as the Barbara Cushing Excellence in Nursing; Outstanding Distance Educator; and Outstanding Nursing Faculty.
Learn about UT Tyler’s nursing faculty
Nursing PhD Courses: Attuned to Diversity. Research-Based.
Research in Transcultural Health – Explore research issues within a cultural milieu. Emphasis is on culturally relevant scholarship, knowledge and technology to improve the health status of diverse communities.
Health Care Policy Development – Examine the role of nurse leaders in research to shape health care policy. The impact of economic, socio-political and other forces on policy formulation and access to care is considered.
The Nurse as Educator – Use educational principles, learning theories and pedagogical approaches to develop culturally sensitive teaching strategies for diverse student and community-based populations. Solutions to educational access and nursing workforce situations are explored and studied.
More about UT Tyler’s nursing PhD program of study
Career Outlook for Nursing
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the career outlook in the nursing field is excellent and expected to grow by 22% through 2018, which is much more favorable than experienced by most occupations. As the delivery of health care continues to change in the United States, there is a growing need for intelligent, highly educated nurses to help formulate policy and conduct research in the field. For more information, visit www.bls.gov/oco/ocos083.htm.